I will be on research leave until the end of 2022, to write a book on the nature of hedonic bodily sensations, emotions, and moods--tentative title: No Hard Feelings: The Cognitive Architecture of the Affective Mind. My leave is supported by a grant from the Mind Association.
WUN Research Project on Covid-19 and emotion
I am the PI for the WUN-funded Research Project "Getting back in touch: Emotional pathways to a post-pandemic world". This interdisciplinary project will study emotional responses to the Covid-19 pandemic across four continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America), with the aim of designing public health strategies that can maximise emotional well-being and foster post-traumatic growth.
Recent and upcoming talks
- Monthly UK X-Phi Workshop, University of East Anglia, UK, 12 Jan 2022
- Digital Minds Research Group-Future of Humanity Institute, University of Oxford, UK, 22 Sep 2021
- Pain, Pleasure, and the Method of Cases. (Keynote). University of Bern, Switzerland, 16-18 Jan 2020
- ERSS Seminar, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, University of Toulouse, France, 7 Nov 2019
Workshop and Conferences
- Emotional Bonds, Spring 2019
- Natural Mechanisms: Consciousness, Cognition, and Evolution, 7 Sep 2018
- Mind Network Meeting, 21 Oct 2016
- Philosophy meets Cognitive Science: A conference in honor of Stephen Stich, 7 Oct 2016
- Affect: Pain, Pleasure, and the Emotions, 5-6 June 2015
Hang Seng Centre for Cognitive Studies
I am an Associate Director of the Hang Seng Centre for Cognitive Studies. The Centre organises seminars, workshops, and conferences to investigate fundamental issues concerning the nature of cognition. To keep abreast of the Centre's activities, please visit this webpage.
I am an Associate Editor of Analysis Reviews, a journal devoted to reviewing work in analytic philosophy. We publish Critical Notices, Book Symposia, Opinionated Introductions, and Surveys. I am happy to receive pitches for pieces in the following areas: Philosophy of Mind and Cognition; Philosophy of Language and Linguistics; Philosophy of Science.
- Philosophy of psychology (Spring 2021): Randy Gallistel and Adam King Memory and the Computational Brain
- Philosophy of psychology (Autumn 2020): Nick Shea Representation in Cognitive Science
- Philosophy of psychology (Spring 2019): Delusions
- Decision making: Normative and Descriptive (Autumn 2017)
- Philosophy of psychology (Autumn 2016): John Mikhail Elements of Moral Cognition
- Philosophy of psychology (Autumn 2015): Shaun Nichols Sentimental Rules